Current programs and services
Project Ujima supports programs offered in the Buchtel community, spearheaded primarily by volunteers committed to fulfilling the mission of “making our brother’s and sister’s problems our problems and solving them together.”
Project Ujima also provides facilitators, facilitator training and skill building to residents, youth, organizations, community stakeholders and others interested in acquiring skills to lead discussions on often complicated, sometimes painful issues of shared concern.
Current programs offered In the Buchtel Community as a result of the Discussion Circle Process:
- Weekly “Wellness Circles” featuring Tai Chi and Qigong instruction and monthly “Super Saturday” Discussion Circles on a variety of topics related to physical, mental and financial health
- African American Read-In Programs and Circle Book Discussions
- Recruitment and coordination of volunteers to serve as reading tutors for students of Crouse and Helen Arnold Community Learning Centers in the Buchtel Community
- Adoption and restoration of Kerr Park
Current services offered to the community-at-large
(In-kind and contractual):
- Annual free Moderator Training in Deliberative Dialogue processes and Circle facilitation
- Trainers and facilitators for Peace Circles (a Youth Diversion and Restorative Justice Program in partnership with the Summit County Juvenile Court)
- Trained facilitators for Summa Health Centering Pregnancy and Parenting Circles, Akron Public Schools Student and Community Dialogues on school mergers, Race and Infant Mortality Dialogues, and the City of Akron Youth Violence Prevention Initiative
Join our newsletter
Want to stay up-to-date on what's happening at Project Ujima? Our newsletter will come to your inbox with information about programs, services, upcoming events and more. Just fill out the form below!